Visiting Dubai was like being transported by a time capsule 50+ years into the future, where life is less wasteful, more efficient, and exceedingly elegant.
The city seriously looked like it should have space ships
zooming around the buildings! It reminded me of a high-tech city from one of
the 3 newer Star Wars movies (Episodes I, II, & III). Dubai is not only the
home of the tallest building in the entire world (de Burj Khalifa –which used
to be called “Burj Dubai”), which was recently featured in Tome Cruise’s new
Mission Impossible action film, but it seems very clean and efficient. Most
amazing of all, was the architecture of every single building in the city.
Dubai is so wealthy that someone commissioned a bunch of man-made islands to be
built off its coast. Many of them are small and privately owned, but the most
impressive of them all is Palm Island. Palm Island isn’t technically an island
because it is attached to the land at the base of its palm tree shape, but when
something is that significant, people don’t fuss about the details. I took some
phenomenal photos of Palm Island from my airplane window shortly after takeoff
(I will try to post these soon!) In certain areas of Dubai, fuel is much
cheaper than water.
My flight arrived in Dubai (from San Francisco—a very long
flight) around 7pm and my flight to Nairobi didn’t leave until 10:45am the
following day, so Emirates Airlines put me up in a hotel and paid for me to
enjoy 2 meals at their expense. (Side note: Emirates is the nicest airline I
have ever had the pleasure of flying on and I highly recommend it. They provide
these accommodations to any passenger with a layover in Dubai for more than 8
hours but less than 24 hours).
In the check-in line at the hotel, I spotted another
American. It wasn’t difficult to tell where he was from: he was wearing a white
t-shirt, jeans, and a New York Yankees hat (he couldn’t look more American if
he tried—LoL!) This made me smile and we actually met a few minutes later by
the elevator. I had signed up for a 2-hour bus tour of the city and I suggested
he check it out. He had been to Dubai several times before, on his way to work
at the American Embassy in Baghdad, but he had never been on an official tour
so he jumped at the opportunity. We became fast friends and he volunteered to
take pictures of me with my camera along the tour. It’s thanks to him that I
have so many wonderful photos of myself in front of Dubai’s hottest spots.
There was something very comforting about hanging out with another American in
a country where I had such a difficult time understanding the thick Arab
accents. I met a few other hotel guests on the tour as well, but none of them
were from an English-speaking country.
I was surprised at how safe I felt.
I actually felt safer in Dubai than I have felt sometimes in
downtown Salt Lake City, where I grew up. In addition to finding another
American to keep me company and watch my back, Dubai is a very conservative
city: You can actually be thrown in jail there for being drunk in public
(despite the fact that there are bars on just about every corner—I wonder how
that works out) and, you can be ticketed and fined a great deal of money (Dirham)
for using swear words anywhere in public. They also don’t allow men and women
to be alone together unless they are married. Most of Dubai’s taxi-cabs are
white with red roofs, but they also have white cabs with bright pink roofs that
have female drivers and are only available for women and children, with the
exception of a married man in the company of said wife and children. I thought
that I would need to wear a scarf around my hair in Dubai to respect the culture
and attempt to blend in, but the locals I met on the long flight there said
that was completely unnecessary. They said wearing a tank top and shorts would
be inappropriate, but that I should be myself and not try too hard to imitate the
Muslims. Besides, they said, Dubai is the most liberal place in the entire
region.
The TOUR:
*main Downtown Strip freeway/highway
- 7 lanes going each direction (14 lanes across), runs right through the center of downtown
- incredible architecture on both sides of the road; a lot of thinking outside of the box (like nothing I have EVER seen before!)
*the Beach: the water was warmer than the air outside!
- swimming would feel like being in a cooler hot tub or a hot bathtub.
*Palm Island
- each “branch” or “leaf” of the palm is 1km long, and the bottom of the island reaches 1km deep (underwater)
- studio apartment on Palm island costs half a million dollars!
- villa on one of the Palm’s “branches” or “leaves” costs approx. $8 million!
*Atlantis hotel
- located at the very top of Palm Island
- hosted the largest fireworks display ever to take place anywhere in the world; it took place in 2008 for the grand opening of this hotel and cost a whopping $20 million!
- has a gigantic (and Free) aquarium inside on the main floor
Dubai TRIVIA:
*Dubai reaches 75% humidity at times
- Dubai bus stops outside are equipped with air conditioning for these occasions
*Dubai sometimes experiences windstorms where you can’t see
your hand in front of your face
- definitely a desert and yes, they have camels (but no, I didn't see one on the night tour)
*Extremely energy efficient
- hotel key card slides into wall just inside hotel room door and turns on the electricity for the entire room (then I can turn individual lights on and off using the regular switches). This way, guests don’t use up any power or electricity when they are not physically inside of their rooms.
- perk/bonus for residents who originate from Dubai: don't have to pay utilities (ever) when they rent an apartment or house
The only places in the US that Dubai reminds me of in any
way are Las Vegas and New York, with a futuristic twist, of course. Dubai is
home to the largest mall in the world (much larger than the largest mall in the
US: the Mall of America in Minnesota) and has flashy lights in a huge array of
different colors that are reminiscent of Vegas. It is known as “The Vegas of
the Middle East” because it is by far the most liberal city in that area of the
world. Dubai also reminds me on New York with its skyscrapers and melting pot
of different people. In Europe, the best
place to be on New Year’s Eve is Barcelona, in the US it’s NY, and in the
Middle East… it’s Dubai.
The only people in Dubai that made me a bit uncomfortable were
the women wearing Burkas (aka Burqas).
This surprised me, because I fully expected to see some women wearing
them, and yet, I was still thrown off by seeing them. I have worked and
volunteered with a lot of Muslim refugees back in Salt Lake who wear Hijabs, and
I think they are beautiful and really highlight one’s facial attributes, but I
had never seen someone in-person wearing a Burka. I thought it would feel just
like I was next to someone in an overly-large hijab, but instead, I felt like a
large black ghost was floating by me, always submissive, and always following a
man dressed in a business outfit –-one that an American man would typically
wear to work in an office— I guess I always assumed that the husbands of such
conservative-looking women would look a bit more conservative themselves.
Instead, they were chatty, only talking with other men, while their shadowy
ghosts floated silently along behind them, with the only visible part of their
bodies (their eyes) never looking up from the floor or uttering a single word.
I’m used to women being chatty as they stroll through the hallways of a hotel
and the men walking beside them nodding and contributing something to the
conversation only here and there. This was a surreal experience for me and I
didn’t know how to act around them. I wanted to look at them, perhaps give them
a friendly smile, but they were so determined to restrain their eyes from
glancing up to meet mine.

No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.
ReplyDeleteFlights to Abidjan
Cheap Flights to Abidjan
thanks for your comment!
ReplyDelete