Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My new name: Introducing... Stacy Kagwiria!

Today I received my Kimeru name (Kimeru is the local dialect in Chogoria) and "Kagwiria" (pronounced: Cah-Gwhere-Lee-Ahh) means "someone who makes people happy"! What do you think?

Originally, my peers were going to name me "Makena" which means "joyful one", but a previous Global Health Fellow and my boss' girlfriend are both already named Makena, so that one was vetoed. But now I love my new name and will share it with pride.

It is important to introduce myself with a Kimeru name in Chogoria and the surrounding Meru area because it helps people connect with me faster. 

 

 Since I am going out into different neighboring communities at least 3 times each week it is a valuable asset for me to have. Furthermore, using my Kimeru name demonstrates my respect and interest in the local culture and lifestyle. This is especially important to me because I don't want to come in with a "Team America" or "Americans know best" attitude; I think that is so short-sighted and ignorant. While I have worked hard to learn all I can about public health and behavior change theory, I know that there is always more to learn and have no pretenses about my expertise. I feel I can learn more here than I could ever possibly teach, but I will share what I can in return.

I am falling in love with Kenya the way I fell in love with Ghana last summer.  

 

The two countries are remarkably similar: both are stable nonviolent nations open to growth, and are home to the friendliest, most welcoming people I have ever met. The biggest difference, as far as I can tell, is the food. While Ghana's food staples include spicy hot soups with dough in the middle, topped off with chicken legs or antelope meat.... Kenya's food staples include a mix of maize, beans, and potatoes with beef or chicken. Ghana's fruits were a little more tropical, with mangoes and coconuts grown on nearby trees; whereas, Kenya grows mostly bananas and grows an enormous amount of chai tea. In Ghana they call white people "ubrunis", and in Kenya they call us "muzungus".

Both are fascinating African cultures that strangely make this white girl feel right at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment