I am still definitely jet lagged, but happy to have arrived and
energized by how new and exciting everything is to me.
I went to a church service this morning with my host mother and it was like nothing I had ever seen before! The service was full of singing and dancing and "praise the lord, sweet wounded Jesus" phrases shouted out by the Baptist-like priest. At one point, music was playing and all of the congregants closed their eyes and each started chanting their own prayers, while waving their arms madly in the air and rocking back and forth. Some even jumped around; I'm surprised more of them didn't bump into each other or knock one another over. A couple of people even had tears streaming down their cheeks! It's a good thing all of their eyes were closed during this part, because I was in total shock: with my jaw dropped and eyes wide, looking around. I can't say I had a religious experience myself, but it was fascinating to watch people so overcome with emotion and love for a higher power. My favorite part was the dancing and clapping and singing --it was joyful and fun, a pure celebration of their religion-- unlike the church services I've attended in the US, which were often solemn and tiring.
I thought it was beautiful and I don't regret attending.
{I know that religion can be a touchy subject for many people and I want to go out of my way not to offend anyone. This is, however, how I can best describe my experience today at an African non-denominational Christian church service.}
I went to a church service this morning with my host mother and it was like nothing I had ever seen before! The service was full of singing and dancing and "praise the lord, sweet wounded Jesus" phrases shouted out by the Baptist-like priest. At one point, music was playing and all of the congregants closed their eyes and each started chanting their own prayers, while waving their arms madly in the air and rocking back and forth. Some even jumped around; I'm surprised more of them didn't bump into each other or knock one another over. A couple of people even had tears streaming down their cheeks! It's a good thing all of their eyes were closed during this part, because I was in total shock: with my jaw dropped and eyes wide, looking around. I can't say I had a religious experience myself, but it was fascinating to watch people so overcome with emotion and love for a higher power. My favorite part was the dancing and clapping and singing --it was joyful and fun, a pure celebration of their religion-- unlike the church services I've attended in the US, which were often solemn and tiring.
I thought it was beautiful and I don't regret attending.
{I know that religion can be a touchy subject for many people and I want to go out of my way not to offend anyone. This is, however, how I can best describe my experience today at an African non-denominational Christian church service.}
No comments:
Post a Comment